Michael McWilliams –
An overview on WordPress as a tool for nonprofits — with a special focus on using the platform to build-out organizational capacity for a robust, vibrant online presence. Will briefly cover some of the more exciting new tools that enable nonprofit staff to develop and manage functional websites for their organizations…and when it might be a good idea to seek out specialized help.
Areas to be covered include:
* Landing page strategies
* Using the web to provide a a compelling overview of the organization and its work.
* Tools for integrating online fundraising into WordPress sites.
* Ideas for presenting outcomes, metrics, and financial information online.
* Different approaches to WordPress blogging for nonprofits.
* The critical requirements: online newsrooms and contact information.
* WordPress as an excellent “story” platform …and approaches to presenting factual context in meaningful, engaging ways.
* Nonprofit WordPress ideas for general-purpose sites.
That’s a lot for a 45 minute session…so the emphasis will be on two things:
1) References and recommendations for getting more information.
2) Low cost, high functionality.
Veteran public affairs strategist, executive, and communicator with experience across diverse fields. Now working as an Encore Fellow focused on building organizational capacity in key facets of nonprofit fundraising, communication, and advocacy. Also serve as public affairs agent and writer for mission-based organizations.
Repatriated to the US from Stockholm, Sweden in 2010 upon finishing work with an international NGO focused on the growing global water crisis. Had earlier worked in the American public policy and nonprofit arenas after a lengthy career in the corporate worlds of finance, industrial automation, software, data management,and internet technologies. Entrepreneur with “boutique” strategic communications agency working with startups and growth-oriented tech firms to explain vision, products and services to VCs and tech-media. Rode the dot-com bubble up and down before bailing out of the corporate arena for more rewarding challenges of public policy, nonprofit, and NGO sectors.
Something of a geek. Served as group director for Emerging Technologies SIG with the (legendary) Boston Computer Society.
WordPress is the platform of choice for the work that I now do.